Vegetarian Sushi Secrets

6 Comments

1. Mike
    February 22, 2012 @ 10:40 am

Great post Marisa, and an interesting topic to explore! I tend to be one of the traditionalists only because the overwhelming majority of ill-conceived rolls these days show no real understanding of the basic ideas of sushi. Simply adding more ingredients or smothering with hollandaise sauce or orange glaze does not make it innovative.

That makes it difficult to recognize the truly interesting creations, using local, seasonal ingredients in smart combinations that do happen. I think YOU look for new ways to implement the core concepts in your environment, as a 21st century itamae. But I think most sushi bars just want to come up with new rolls as a marketing tool, and they turn out not to be so interesting. Still I remain on the lookout for interesting new takes on sushi…

2. dhouse
    February 22, 2012 @ 11:17 am

I still crave your inventive sushi. To this day all sushi i eat pales in comparison to your creations. I cant shake that yellow fin tuna sashimi seared withe brown butter JESUS CHRIST love u

3. Jacqueline Church
    February 22, 2012 @ 12:14 pm

Fantastic. Love the work you’re doing, Marisa! Rock on!

4. Marisa
    February 22, 2012 @ 2:24 pm

Mike, I agree that the more creative types can often use some work. But I think that the state of the oceans offers us a unique opportunity right now to apply some of that American ingenuity to create well crafted sushi in an American style, that pays tribute to the spirit behind Japanese cuisine.

I think we just need to create some American sushi standards 🙂

5. Marisa
    February 22, 2012 @ 2:27 pm

Thanks, Jacqueline! I appreciate what you do, too! If we all stick together and promote this we can change the world.

6. Adam @ Maki Zavelli
    June 9, 2012 @ 2:44 pm

Amen, sister! I think creative sushi is a great way to stand out as a chef and avoid being generic.