Learn the technique for making rolls that feature the sushi rice on the outside.
1. Begin with a piece of 4in by 7in nori. Place the nori directly on a cutting board, making sure the long end is parallel to the bottom of the board and that the rough side is facing upwards.
2. With fingertips dipped lightly in cold water, spread about 3⁄4 cup of prepared sticky rice evenly over the entire surface of the nori.
3. Flip nori over so that rice is face down on the cutting board. Add desired ingredients horizontally in the middle of the nori, making sure that ingredients are spread evenly and touch both edges of the nori.
4. With damp fingertips, place thumbs underneath nori while grasping fillings with all other fingertips. Roll the bottom of the nori just over the fillings, making sure to tightly tuck the fillings under the fold.
5. Continue rolling the first fold until it reaches the top edge of the nori.
6. With a bamboo rolling mat covered in plastic wrap, gently shape roll by pressing forefingers on top of the mat while simultaneously pressing thumbs and middle fingers on the sides.
7. Check to see that the seam side of the roll rests on the cutting board before cutting into 6 – 8 pieces.
For best results – Minimum number of ingredients: 2 – Maximum number of ingredients: 5