How to Make A Thin Roll (Hoso Maki)
Learn the technique for making thin rolls.
1. Begin with a piece of 4in by 7in nori. Place the nori on a bamboo rolling mat, making sure the long end is parallel to the bottom of the mat and that the rough side is facing upwards.
2. With fingertips dipped lightly in cold water, spread about 1⁄2 cup of prepared sticky rice evenly over the bottom 2/3 of the nori.
3. Add desired ingredients horizontally in the middle of the rice, making sure that ingredients are spread evenly and touch both edges of the nori.
4. With damp fingertips, place thumbs underneath rolling mat while grasping fillings with all other fingertips. Roll the bottom of the mat just over the fillings, making sure to tightly tuck the fillings under the fold.
5. Lift the edge of the rolling mat and continue rolling the first fold until it reaches the top edge of the nori.
6. Gently shape roll by pressing forefingers on top of the mat while simultaneously pressing thumbs and middle fingers on the sides.
7. Let roll rest seam side down on a cutting board at least 2 minutes before cutting 6 pieces.